Thursday, August 2, 2012

The Earlier the Better


 Although it pains me to admit this, I am not a morning person. I always have good intentions. I optimistically set the alarm for 7 a.m., cheerfully imagining all the things I’ll do with my morning. I hear the birds and their idealistic chirping as I picture myself sipping tea and basking in the glory of having the entire day ahead of me.

And then the alarm rings. Barely awake and still half-immersed in a dream about learning to tap dance, I scramble to my feet in a clumsy, frantic manner, swiping at my earsplitting cell phone in desperation. Half the time I end up knocking it on the floor, which is why it’s a miracle that my phone is still functioning. The other half of the time, I manage to hit the “dismiss” button (why is that even an option?) and end up sleeping until the absolute last second possible. So much for tea-sipping and glory-basking.

I often wish I would exercise a little more self-control, and here’s one reason why – shopping in the morning is divine. My recent excursion to the Lane County Farmer’s Market on Tuesday proved this to me.

I left my apartment at 9:20 in the morning and arrived downtown around 9:45 a.m. This may not seem early to most, but when it comes to shopping, I usually fail to get anywhere before noon unless someone is dragging me by the arm. The overhead clouds were starting to clear and the Farmer’s Market was also just beginning to stir with activity.

Usually when I attend events like this, the bustle of commerce is already in full swing and the commotion is somewhat overwhelming. The vendors barely have time to answer questions about their produce, let alone stop and chat. In the morning, that all changes.

When I approached a booth called “Berg’s Berries," I was greeted by the smiling face of Fanny Berg. Because of the slow morning pace, I talked with Fanny about her business and learned of her fondness for the Farmer’s Market.



“When it’s winter, I miss coming to the market,” she said, standing behind a colorful display of blackberries, strawberries and other brightly-colored fruits. “I’m friends with my customers and they even come to my house. We’re all very friendly, no pretention.”

Berg’s Berries come from an organic farm in Alvadore, Ore., where Fanny and her husband grow and harvest fruit during the summer and fall months. Before leaving the booth, I scored a complimentary strawberry, which tasted of perfection.



Encouraged by my first encounter, I moved on to Eugene City Bakery’s tent, where buttery pastries accosted me. A few customers lingered by the booth, choosing a roll here, a Danish there. Inspired, I jumped into the conversation.

“Which one is your favorite?” I asked of Alicia Sparks, who began working for Eugene City Bakery a few months ago.

“Probably the Schnecken,” she answered, gesturing to a hazelnut-laden, gooey pastry. The prospect was tempting, but after some deliberation, I selected a gigantic blueberry-peach scone.



Around 11 a.m., a crowd started to accumulate around the market, a more familiar sight to me than the lightly populated atmosphere from earlier. As I walked away, munching on my scone, I felt for just a moment like a morning person.

2 comments:

  1. This is lovely, Amy! I love the personal narrative combined with vivid observations on the market. I'm also glad to meet Fanny Berg--I'm a big fan of those berries. I had no idea Eugene City Bakery had schnecken . . . reminds me of Nathan Lane's line in The Bird Cage, "When the schnecken beckons." Thank you! Glad you enjoyed the morning!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amy, this is a delightful post! Thank you for sharing it! And look at those bookends Melissa was referencing in class. ;) Makes for a really enjoyable read. I just loved the line : half-immeresed in a dream about learning to tap dance. I think I am going to read this post again right now. ;) I don't know why it keeps saying anonymous, but it's me! heyamberhogan.com ;)

    ReplyDelete